How Many People Are Looking At Us?

20.12.10

Post Number Fifteen.

Dear Haleigh and Taylor,
  So I'm having problems with my parents. Every time i try and talk to them, they put on their sensible "counselor voice". you know that irritating "and how do you feel about that" situation. I've attempted to have adult conversations with them, but each one ends in "i'm the parent and you're the child" or "you're not being logical". Sometimes they blame my "illogical arguments" on my brothers who have moved away. In the end I usually end up yelling at them or using a "disrespectful tone". (every tone i use seems to be disrespectful to them) Then I get into lots of trouble causing me to miss out on some really important stuff. My mother even started a "do over" method. Basically if I say something they don't like, I can do it over or just say what they really want me to say. I am sick of it. I feel as if I am the black sheep of my family because even my sister (who complains about them on a regular basis) sides with them. She told them (with me in the room) that she sees how i treat them and doesn't wasn't to be like me. i feel like I'm an outcast in my own family! All I wish is for my parents to respect me and allow me to figure out my life for myself.
     help me. i need a voice!!!!

-Rachel

Dear Rachel,
  In this case, there's honestly not a lot to be said. We can sympathize for your situation, because all parents can be a little overbearing at times. It may not be what you want to hear, but they are the adults, and for the time being, you're under their roof. Meaning you have to cope with the current situation, and try your best to make it as pleasant as possible. Just know that when you get older, things will change. They will see you for the adult you will become, and treat you appropriately. Our advice to you would be to do the same as your mom, and start a "do over" method. This is a different kind of "do over" method, though. Try to start over. Try to forget about past arguments and fights you may have gotten in, and from now on, try your best to show your parents that you are trying your best to act like a rational adult. I know that I (I being Taylor), tend to have a disrespectful tone, even though I don't realize it. I try to get a point across, and instead of making a point, I actually look somewhat ridiculous by the amount of immaturity my tone conveys. Try not to hold grudges, and remember that it's your family. No matter what, they will always be there for you. Let us know what happens. Best of wishes!

Love,
Haleigh and Taylor

No comments:

Post a Comment